The month of October may have been the busiest month that I ever worked. The quarterly reporting for the entire portfolio was required for October 17th. That ties into the public company reporting which culminated in the earnings call October 27th. All of that in the middle of a continuous financial meltdown that had every financial counterparty grilling each other. We made dozens of calls to Borrowers and Servicers and received volumes of inquiries from lenders, partners, rating agencies, servicers, etc. The followup from these exchanges was unending. So bad news is a month (and some weekend) of 14 hour work days and lots of food on the train. Good news is we scrubbed our loans and bonds thoroughly. Meanwhile, the company stock got to a low of $3.80. Which is quite a slap in the face. There is a investment banking quip about ending the year and figuring that “you paid to work there”. Applies a little here. But a great working team and have faith that the platform will continue to morph to restore shareholder value. So, what does that have to do with the house? Well, in a month that the house moved along substantially, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing, we really did not have to do that much with the house. So much effort had been put in earlier in the process regarding plumbing and other features that the builder could move ahead without us. The walkthrough for electric was the only real time commitment. I set up some appointments for Nov. 8th. We did settle on a new bakery layout with a microwave drawer. That was solved by Gregg and David suggestions; we take no credit. So a lot of internal progress in the month of October. And of course the siding was completed. Would be fun to come up every weekend but there is too much to do in NY.
Looks like a finished house on the outside. Was a time we thought there were way too many windows but a trick of the eye with blue housewrap and the empty window openings. inside however, there is a lot to do. Elec wiring is all through the house. HVAC is halfway with all kinds of box supply and flexible duct. Double click on the photo to see full size and then back arrow out.
And from the back. All sided. And the big pop was from the cladding of the framing with Azek. Notice the balcony with the rim all cladded. Also, the porches have their ceilings covered in Azek beadboard. Deck rim board is next and that long brown line will be white.
Small pic here. Fitting because it is meant to show the XM radio antenna. Gregg and Tune St took it upon themselves to hide it on the upper dormer. It had to be on the Western side of the house and I struggled with installing because I thought it would be seen on the main house upper gable. But they found this spot. Unseen from the back of the house.
Our beloved Village Oven in West Stockbridge closed. Someone in town said it was a landlord tenant issue over increased rent. Not the strongest economy for the landlord to try to find a new restaurant tenant for an oddly configured group of 3 buildings. Maybe he splits it up again.
This a view never filmed before. From the upper attic one gets a neat view along all the metal roof ridges.
After the breezeway was lowered we had to figure out the right size box beam with David and Gregg. not too thin and not to bulky. They got it just right. Leaves volume while not looking insubstantial.
When we lowered the breezeway we decided to fill in the gable. The end wall was always to be sided. We sided the new gable and the new small window looks real sharp. The beadboard ceiling will be left natural as will the beadboard in the breezeway vault. Vent to be spray painted white.
Very happy with our custom designed mudroom door. Now the decision as to finish on the doors. Could stain and poly. Had been thinking a steel blue paint. Both front and side and other end of breezeway (with matching door) are protected from the weather and would survive the elements. At the end of my house picture taking I met with Carl Paolucci of Berkshire Irrigation. We are not maintaining much lawn but what we do have I want to be very green. Carl will tie his lines into our cistern which will collect rain from 80% of the roof area and the patio. That will feed the cistern which will irrigate lawn and drip hoses in Kim’s garden area and front bushes. Picked up prints at Davids, got some lathe tools for David Handsman, hit Subway then dropped in at Country Tile in Hillsdale. Met Ali. They have a very nice selection. Will have a visit with Kim in December to pick tile. Since we have a very white palette, choices should be pretty straightforward.
OK. What does this have to do with the house. Nothing. It’s just more important. This is from the Hackley Girls Soccer semi-final win in the season ending tournament for Independent Schools. HGVS won the Ivy League (Dalton, Trinity, Riverdale, Fieldston, etc.) for the 5th straight year (co this year) and happy to report that on Sunday Nov 10th, at Columbia University, HGVS won the championship for the 4th time out of past 5 years. Last year they were not permitted in the tournament because of an admin error. HGVS had beaten the champion 3-0 twice so settled for Ivy League championship. Go Hack!